Understanding & Implementing Inclusion in Museums
Rowman & Littlefield 2018
Book will debut at the American Alliance of Museums (AAM) 2018 in Phoenix, AZ
Do museums need to be inclusive? How do we define inclusion? Understanding and Implementing Inclusion in Museums is the pioneer text to focus solely on the notion of inclusion for museums. This book is intended to demystify the much-debated idea of inclusion for museum professionals, theorists, professors, and researchers. The chapters within this book are intended to function as a guide for understanding, implementing, and evaluating inclusion in your museum.
This insightful examination of inclusion in museums features:
- An introductory definition of inclusion for museums.
- Guidelines for creating inclusion in your museum through partnerships with people and community organizations.
- Strategies for driving social change through inclusive museum practice.
- Tools for implementing inclusion in your museum.
- Mechanisms for evaluating the inclusiveness of your museum.
- An encyclopedic Who’s Who of museum professionals serving as advocates, agents, and architects of inclusion today.
- An extensive resource list to aid you and your museum.
We have never had a book solely about inclusion for museums, and never with such a strong focus on American institutions. I invite you to join the conversation concerning inclusion armed with greater understanding and the tools to implement change through your museum.